How would you rate the media coverage of the tragedy in Tucson?

What took place in Tucson, Arizona on Saturday, January 8, 2011 was more than an American tragedy.  It was a mass murder; it was carnage; it was a reason to open a debate on gun control laws, a notorious “third rail” in American politics; it gave us a compelling reason to have thoughtful, careful and focused discussions on mental health care in America; it was heartbreaking; it was despicable; it was sad; and simply, it was just WRONG.  I’m sure I have omitted a wide variety of other adjectives that would aptly describe the events on that tragic morning in Tucson, Arizona.  For the adjectives I did miss, please feel free to add your own into the comments section.

Which leads me to a question: how would you rate the media coverage overall of the tragedy in Tucson?  Do you feel as though you know enough about everyone involved?  By everyone, I really mean EVERYONE: the victims who were murdered; the victims who were wounded; the families of the murdered victims and the wounded victims; the suspect and his motives and/or frame of mind; the suspect’s family; the heroes who prevented the suspect from reloading his weapon; those who simply witnessed the massacre.  I admit that is a tall order to have so much information in the 10 days since this has happened.  I’m sure that ultimately some of us may feel we know TOO much about some aspects of this tragedy (if that is possible). 

Of the coverage that we have received (most of what I have seen has been satisfactory), there are two media outlets that I think have been absolutely on point with their coverage: Time Magazine (the January 24, 2011 edition) and “60 Minutes” that aired this past Sunday, January 16, 2011. 

Of course, it would be these two media because we have grown to expect no less from them.  I have studied media actively since I was 17 years old and this magazine and this TV news magazine have ALWAYS been at the top of the list since then.  Time Magazine’s David Von Drehle writes a brilliant step-by-step description of the events that took place before, during and after the mass murder.  Von Drehle’s piece was so riveting, I’ve actually read it twice.  Scott Pelley of “60 Minutes” delivered the goods in his usual, surgical, focused way.  He’s only won the George Foster Peabody (The Peabody Award) award in his career for excellence in radio and television broadcasting.  I saw his piece when it originally aired this past Sunday and I have watched it again since. 

In the days to come, we WILL learn more about the horrific events in Tucson.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Time Magazine and “60 Minutes” will lead the way in future coverage as well.

Peace, peace …

Craig Riggins



You can follow me on Twitter: @TheProdigal517
Facebook: Craig Riggins




Comments

  1. The coverage has been excellent and on point but I would like to hear more about the shooters parents and their struggle with their obviously mentally ill son. It would be interesting to know their views, and just how he was raised.

    edie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment